Rejection and Selection by Lucy Barker
I used the feedback from flickr to help me decide which shots from my photoshoot. Here is a link to my photostream on twitter, http://www.flickr.com/photos/76596096@N05/
DPS Photoshoot
I rejected this photo becuase feedback told me that it wasn't as strong as the other shots becuase the lighting was off-balance.I also personally don't think think it's the best as the costumes can't be seen very well, neither are the faces. The lighting makes it look like the model on the right is in the darkness and the model on the left isn't due to artificial lighting. I think this makes them look like artists that are into a darker kind of music, which isn't what I was going for and it gives a sort of dangerous affect it gives them a different representation.
DPS Photoshoot
I rejected this photo becuase feedback told me that it wasn't as strong as the other shots becuase the lighting was off-balance.I also personally don't think think it's the best as the costumes can't be seen very well, neither are the faces. The lighting makes it look like the model on the right is in the darkness and the model on the left isn't due to artificial lighting. I think this makes them look like artists that are into a darker kind of music, which isn't what I was going for and it gives a sort of dangerous affect it gives them a different representation.
This photo is the second photo that I rejected, I rejected this one becuase although I like the lighting captured in the background, the models expression is too bland and doesn't portray the artist that they are, this may be due to the flash, however his expression can't be changed on adobe. The pure reason I am rejecting this photo is becuase of the models, I need to think more carefully next time in my photoshoot that I know that the models understand what I want them to do and only take the photo once they are ready.
I am using 2 images on my double page spread, becuase research has told me that our target audiance would be interested in participating in competitions, I have created a competition for the readers to have a chance to win signed T-shirts from the band so will include a photo of that. I am going to make my chosen image spread across both pages, becuase I like the way this looks.
I have selected this photo to advertise the competition becuase readers are going to have the chance to win the signed photos. I am going to cut them out of the background becuase this will look better on top of the photo spread (below)
I have selected this photo becuase I like the symmetry used and I think it would look very creative on a double page spread. Feedback on the photo said that the flash is well balanced with the sunset and I like the feel it creates. I used a small aperture to create sharpness, as this was important, and took the picture horizontally so that it spreads on the page without me having to edit and cut it. The ISO was supposed to be high because of the natural low light, but I took this shot using an average ISO setting and I think if I were to do the photo-shoot again I would think more carefully about how I can control the lighting.
Front Cover Photo shoot
Contents Page Photo shoot
I did 2 photoshoots for my contents page becuase I didn't want to use the other photos from my photoshoot with the same mise-en-scene becuase it's not very interesting for the readers to look at.
I rejected this photo from my 3rd photoshoot becuase the foot was cut off the bottem and I caught the model at the wrong moment. I don't like the background either becuase I think there is too much going on and it takes the focus away from the model.
I selected this photoshoot from my 3rd photoshoot becuase although the reflection in the glasses is quite big and will be hard to manipulate I don't think it will matter too much as I will use this image in a very small size, I switched of flash but becuase the model was fasing the sun it caused this reflection. I like the pose of the model which is very representative of the rock chic look I was going for, the close up shot makes her look confident and big headed, her make-up and confident make her stand out and look as though she doesn't belong or fit into any particular group other than her own. Her pose also speaks with fortitude and flair. I don't think this pose would look right if the photo was taken portrait becuase although the top of her hat is cut off, her 'rockers pose' is more important which fits into the frame perfectly.
I have selected this photo to advertise the competition becuase readers are going to have the chance to win the signed photos. I am going to cut them out of the background becuase this will look better on top of the photo spread (below)
I have selected this photo becuase I like the symmetry used and I think it would look very creative on a double page spread. Feedback on the photo said that the flash is well balanced with the sunset and I like the feel it creates. I used a small aperture to create sharpness, as this was important, and took the picture horizontally so that it spreads on the page without me having to edit and cut it. The ISO was supposed to be high because of the natural low light, but I took this shot using an average ISO setting and I think if I were to do the photo-shoot again I would think more carefully about how I can control the lighting.
Front Cover Photo shoot
I have taken photos of a different model for my front cover, I am not breaking conventions in using a different model for my double page spreads and front cover becuase my double page spread is not going to be my main article, it is going to be only a double page spread and will start and finish within the two pages. I have choosen to do this becuase I think that my main article wouldn't last for more than around 4 pages as my target audiance are younger and would loose interest.
I have rejected this photo because although I like the pose, which makes her represent a shy, timid kind of artist that produces a soft kind of music, which is what I wanted to portray, I think in comparison with the others this is one of the weakest photos. I don't like the lighting which is yellow looking this is due to the flash which I didn't need becuase it was on so that it gave her a face a flawless look but as the pose doesn't require her facial features to be seen, the flash wasn't needed. I also regret having the brick background becuase it makes her look rural and I don't want this affect. I should have taken less photo's with this background. An advantage of the photo it is a medium shot which would work best on my front cover becuase if it was a close up shot the cover stories would cover the important parts of her face and if it was a long shot she may not be recognised.
I had to reject this photo because it was taken landscape. For my front cover I need to use a portrait photo because if I have to crop the photo and resize it, it will loose some of it's quality. I don't think the pose is correct for the representation of pop/indie, I think I have captured her at the wrong moment and should have planned what she was doing more carefully. She doesn't look as though she has certainty that she is better than the camera, she looks rather average. The background has captured a bit of the door, which makes the picture look like it was taken lop sided and if I was to crop and re-size it would loose the quality. I have rejected this photo because although I like the pose, which makes her represent a shy, timid kind of artist that produces a soft kind of music, which is what I wanted to portray, I think in comparison with the others this is one of the weakest photos. I don't like the lighting which is yellow looking this is due to the flash which I didn't need becuase it was on so that it gave her a face a flawless look but as the pose doesn't require her facial features to be seen, the flash wasn't needed. I also regret having the brick background becuase it makes her look rural and I don't want this affect. I should have taken less photo's with this background. An advantage of the photo it is a medium shot which would work best on my front cover becuase if it was a close up shot the cover stories would cover the important parts of her face and if it was a long shot she may not be recognised.
I rejected this photo (970) becuase of the look the model had was not right for the representation of a 'indie princess' she needed more self possession in her look and her eyes look to narrow because she was squinting. However I like the flash which balances out her skin tone giving it a flawless look but the flash was too bright, resulting in squinting.
I selected this photo becuase I like the clash of the femine dress and chain. It's a fun shot and I like the models smile which is perfectly representing the pop/indie style I was going for. She looks like she is having fun, being herself and knowing that everyone thinks that she still looks beautiful while doing it. Although it's upside down I can easily rotate it and it will be easy to change the blue column that contrasts with the black background to make it fit together. I set the camera to a high ISO speed of 100 to avoid blur becuase the model was moving slighlty to maintain balance. To improve this image on adobe I am going to edit out the freckles on her arms and make the background the same colour.
I did 2 photoshoots for my contents page becuase I didn't want to use the other photos from my photoshoot with the same mise-en-scene becuase it's not very interesting for the readers to look at.
I rejected this photo from my 3rd photoshoot becuase the foot was cut off the bottem and I caught the model at the wrong moment. I don't like the background either becuase I think there is too much going on and it takes the focus away from the model.
I selected this photoshoot from my 3rd photoshoot becuase although the reflection in the glasses is quite big and will be hard to manipulate I don't think it will matter too much as I will use this image in a very small size, I switched of flash but becuase the model was fasing the sun it caused this reflection. I like the pose of the model which is very representative of the rock chic look I was going for, the close up shot makes her look confident and big headed, her make-up and confident make her stand out and look as though she doesn't belong or fit into any particular group other than her own. Her pose also speaks with fortitude and flair. I don't think this pose would look right if the photo was taken portrait becuase although the top of her hat is cut off, her 'rockers pose' is more important which fits into the frame perfectly.
No comments:
Post a Comment