Preliminary Tasks
Lucy
Anyalsis of Scheduled Photoshoot photos by Lucy Barker
I like this photo because its portrait and I think the mise-en-scene is good. I think that I've captured the 'sixth form' sign well and its clear and easy readable. The prop is also easy to read which is important because it links the image with my articles. The lighting is good because. It is also blur free because it was taken with a steady hand.
I like this picture because of the place that my model is stood in, she Is stood on the left which allows the camera to capture the other two models in the background having them in the background helps the common room look more like a common room rather than just a room. The 'Rules' prop is also readable which is important because the prop is the main link to the articles. When I asked other students which photo they preferred the majority chose this one because they said it was more appropriate to the magazine and was of better quality.
This photo is not a good photo because of the lighting, when I asked other people what they thought of the photo they said: 'the model is a bit low down which doesn't make her the main focus' I agree with this and I also think that the lighting is wrong because it shines of the rules sheet. Its also a bit too dark. I think the edges of the signs and door is a bit blurry this could be because of my shaky hand or sensor speed
This photo isn't as good as the others because the model is squinting. Other people agreed and also said that the people behind the door caused a distraction, I agree with this, this was also a concern with a better picture but because there were other things to concentrate on it was cancelled out.
The lighting shinning off the sheet doesn't work because you cant see the sheet at all. Other people said that the modell was too far away but I disagree with this, I think having a longshot makes room for other things to catch your attention however you can't see the models face. The problem with landscape pictures are that you loose the quality by shrinking them.
Photo of Hand drawn Plan By Lucy Barker

Photo shoot Plan By Lucy Barker
I drafted four ideas on my first draft and then chose the one that I preferred and drafted it out again on a larger paper to see how it would look and to improve it further, which looked like this.
I drafted four ideas on my first draft and then chose the one that I preferred and drafted it out again on a larger paper to see how it would look and to improve it further, which looked like this.
I organised my photo shoot using a table to locate time, place, cast, crew, mise-en-sence and props. I have added a photo of it below.
I ensured my model was wearing plain
clothes so that they weren't the focus of the shoot and I put her in
natural make-up, brown eyeliner and eye shadow, so that she didn't
have really dark eyes on the photo. I chose to have the photo shoot
mainly outside so I could use the natural lighting, although I did
use the common room because it looks more natural instead of a set up
because everybody I caught in the background are doing their own
thing. I think it went fairly well although it did feel rushed so
next time I would schedule for more time.
So far I have learnt that you need
think more carefully when taking photographs about where the sun is
and where or not the shot is appropriate. I have also learnt how a
camera works and about the shutter speed, sensor speed and aperture,
which will help me to take better photos. I have learnt how to get
rid of spots and blemishes on abode which will be useful for me. Next
time I could use more models which might make the common room look
more busy.
On adobe so far I have learnt how to
insert a photograph and how to add/organize layers so that I can add
a masthead, cover story and strap line as well as using the erase
tool to get rid of blemishes and spots.
First Photo Analysis By Lucy Barker
First Photo Analysis By Lucy Barker
This is the best photograph because it is in focas and the
lighting is good, also the model is looking directly at the camera.
The lighting in this photograph is good however the model
isn't looking into the camera and there is too much going on in background. I
have taken all my photos landscape which won't look very good on my magazine
because of the size it is.
The lighting is good in this photo however my model blinked
and so I could not use this in my magazine as she looks bored. The background
in this photo is good because rather than the reader drawing their eyes to the
background they are drawn to the model. It would also be easy to insert text
onto.
This is the best photograph because it is in focas and the
lighting is good, also the model is looking directly at the camera.
The lighting in this photograph is good however the model
isn't looking into the camera and there is too much going on in background. I
have taken all my photos landscape which won't look very good on my magazine
because of the size it is.
The lighting is good in this photo however my model blinked
and so I could not use this in my magazine as she looks bored. The background
in this photo is good because rather than the reader drawing their eyes to the
background they are drawn to the model. It would also be easy to insert text
onto.
Front cover draft By Lucy Barker
Front cover analysis By Lucy Barker
I chose to use the green
colour because it stands out against my background, I used this as my themed
colour and all the text is green, it wouldn't look professional if it was multi-coloured.
I changed the intensity of
the blur so that my mast head would stand out from the background.
This text in the top right
hand corner is diagonal because it makes the page much more interesting and
draws your eyes to the text. The text relates to the readers because it’s about
them which also sparks up interest.
I have changed things and made them different from my draft because
I've realised it looks better as I don't have the space on the A4 paper I
expected and I didn’t want to make my text smaller because then people wouldn't
see it. For example I was going to put a box around this text but as it
overlaps the mast head it would also overlap the box underneath it, and this
wouldn't work.
I chose the cover story, ‘school
rules, do we really need them?’ because it relates to my prop the 'rules sheet'
and links the picture with the text. In comparison to other
college magazines mine has much less text and although there is a lot going on
in the photo, the text is minimal.
If I could change things next
time I would use a photo that doesn't need to be cropped and rotated portrait
as then my A4 page wouldn't change to be smaller. I had this problem with my
photo and to solve it I had to create a banner on the bottom to fill the space.
This meant that I had to fill the space were my banner was going to be with
some more text.I chose to have the banner
here because there was plenty of space for it and I believe it looks good. The
text and background colours of the banner are also identical to the colours
used in the mast-head I did this by using the eye dropper tool. I used the 'spot healing
brush tool' to get rid of any blemishes or spots and make her face look more
flawless.
I chose to use this image
because the I think that although it’s not the same as my draft I found that
when I experimented with taking photos I preferred this shot because the model
standing ion the left rather than the middle allows the camera to capture the
models in the background, in action. It also allows more space for the text. I have noticed that my model is small in comparison to
the setting so next time I would stand closer in order to capture less of the
top half of the room, I think that because my photo shoot felt fairly rushed I
should of spent more time on it.
Contents page by Lucy Barker
For my contents page, I made the numbers large so they stand out and the text smaller so it makes the number like sentence starter. There are going to be three pictures in the bottom right hand corner to make the page easier to read and break down the text. Text will be placed on top of the photo which will enable the readers to see what the picture is of. It will include the date and mast head near the top.
Evaluation of learning so far by Lucy Barker
So far I think that my media terminology has developed a lot and I understand how lighting affects pictures. I have also learnt a lot about adobe and how to make a basic front cover of a magazine. I have learnt from my mistakes so I now have a better idea of what I should do the next time I make a front cover. I have learnt of the change the mast head using effects such as drop shot shadow and I know how to create text boxes and banners and how to place them. I also know how to resize an image without changing the quality, which is always a problem if you need to use a landscape photograph and you have to rotate it and then make it smaller or crop it.
So far I think that my media terminology has developed a lot and I understand how lighting affects pictures. I have also learnt a lot about adobe and how to make a basic front cover of a magazine. I have learnt from my mistakes so I now have a better idea of what I should do the next time I make a front cover. I have learnt of the change the mast head using effects such as drop shot shadow and I know how to create text boxes and banners and how to place them. I also know how to resize an image without changing the quality, which is always a problem if you need to use a landscape photograph and you have to rotate it and then make it smaller or crop it.
Evaluation of 6 photographs:
I don't think that this is a good picture because of the lighting and the fact that the models' eyes are closed. Other people have also pointed out that her face 'appears red' and that this 'ruins the effect' of the picture. One of the three who reviewed this said that it was the worst picture, although I personally disagree.
I like the effect of this picture, although the lighting is too bright. Others also say that the picture is 'blurry' and 'out of focus'. Two of the three people who reviewed said that this was the worst picture, but I disagree with this.
This is one of my favourites, because the lighting is ideal and you can clearly see the expression on the models' face, although, as others have pointed out, the light is shining on the picture she is pointing to, so it is not as clear as I would have liked it to be.
Maddy Ryder
Photo Analysis:
The picture is a good idea, but the lighting is too bright for my taste so I cannot use it for my magazine.
I like this photo because it is interesting, and gives the viewer more to look at than just the model, and the photo is portrait rather than landscape, which would be better for a magazine.
I like the lighting in this picture, but it is landscape, not potrit, so it does not follow the conventional style for a magazine cover.
Front Cover Plan by Maddy Ryder:

Contents Page Draft By Maddy Ryder:
Front Cover by Maddy Ryder:
I kept the idea for the picture in my front cover, but I changed the articles so the text was only on one side - this means that if the magazine is stacked on its side, there are still things to grab the readers interest.I chose the picture of the girl looking through the window because it appears paranoid, and fits with the 'Conspiracy' part of the title. 'The Brigg Conspiracy' Is a conspiracy theory magazine, so it needs to appear tp be suspicious and not mainstream.










Pictures need to be uploaded to blogger rather than copy/pasted. Whilst brief, your written analysis is moving in the right direction in terms of quality for a higher level - though by colouring your technical vocabulary it'll 'stand out' against the rest of the text. Also, screen grabs/close-ups of images you're referring to will aid the audience/reader (and so make the blob more successful generally).
ReplyDeleteMr. Regan